A Case of the Mondays...

Just random postings about the stuff I do to distract myself from the fact that Monday will always be around the corner

Friday, July 07, 2006

Thunder, Rain and GunPower for the 4th of July




You would think that a level headed person would want to stay indoors after noticing the menacing appearence of the heavens above.Occasionally, the clouds would growl ,like my sister after she discovered she had gained 5 lbs instead of losing the 10 she was working towards.

But it was a Tuesday, it had been a four day weekend and I was bored out of mind sitting around in the house.

Soon the rumbling stopped and seeing this, I gathered the pack and headed out.

Ofcourse the other fellas didn't bring an umbrella or anything. I wanted to make an event of it and decided to bring some salty snacks, watermelon, lawn chairs, ground spread, my ipod, the camera, a tripod (useful for night pics).

OK, so I had been planning this for the past couple of days and I really wanted to go.

Going to Zilker for the 4th was like getting double-dog-dared into a drinking game. It seemed like a good idea at the time because it had happened such a long time ago that you forgot about most of it, but you always regretted it the next day. And you would probably do it again anyway because you are only left with a vague recollection of a pseudo-pleasent experience after a couple of days.

I always take the buses from 15th and Trinity down to the park. Spend an hour at the park, stared at the orchestra and the fireworks and then rushed back to try and be one of the first 100 folks on the buses.





There was a surprising number of folks around. Looks like its going to take more than a little downpour to keep the Austinites from celebrating the 4th at the park.




Some folks had the right idea about viewing the fireworks. I'll have to remind myself to grab a canoe or two next year .





We contemplated the surroundings (i.e., checked out the chicks ) as we bit into watermelon and some salty snacks..




Soon the sun started to set and clouds became heavier.

No matter. We were here to stay for the music and the fireworks.


And it was around this time when I realized that the camera had run out of battery.

And the fireworks weren't going to start for another hour....


And then the rain came. I think it was that first cannon blast that jiggled that cloud loose and set it off.


After 30 minutes under the tarp, we decided this was all the fun we were going to have tonite.



Thats when the fireworks started....

And that's also when my camera died....

Fireworks and lightening make an awesome show. I quickly forgot about the camera as the lightening arcs danced with the spectacular and dazzling fireworks. The damp and the soaked all oooooh'ed and aaaaahhh'ed .

I'm so glad I went.

So for next year.
1- Get a canoe for watch the fireworks by the river.
2- Recharge the camera before you leave.
3- Remind yourself how much you used to enjoy the rain as a kid.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bilal

Super blog, extremely entertaining read. Nice picture of you all getting drenched in the tarp.

Bring on the girls maan, can't see any !!!
Remember the 3s rule

Vikram

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home